Wednesday, May 09, 2007

LCD Soundsystem: Sound Of Silver

I feel pretty strongly about this: "Sound of silver"is one of my favourite albums of this this year.
I've been listenig to it for only a couple of weeks by now (and for a longer time partly because I had found the fist LP rather interesting but not that interesting -like: would this change my life? Not really...good things but not over the top, probably a bit too stylish -and à la mode- and too simplicistic, I don't know). Was it embarassing as most of the dance-oriented electronic music often is? No way. But "Sound of..." is far far better.



It is still very unlikely that some friend will catch me dancing on tables because of the new LCD, yet I would not mind so much (but I do not find myself usually in such situations...). Stranger to me is that I am way more attracted by colder electronica (Aphex Twin, Four Tet) or Indietronica.
Lots of great songs-songs in here by the way: All my friends, New York I love you above all. Plus James Murphy has learned to write some lyrics too, being NY I love you a good example:

You're still the one pool
Where I'd happily drown
And oh.. Take me off your mailing list
For kids that think it still exists
Yes, for those who think it still exists

Obvious considerations (aren't they?): Murphy owes more than something to new wavers, Brian Eno, David Bowie (like the way he sings -along with doubled voices in Get Innocuous)...and most of his music is filled up with hommages to those beautiful years between Glam-Rock's zenith (1974) and post punk revolution (1979-82). Not an inch of plagiarism but tons of love from (a now famous) big fan to his much-loved idols. Or am I the only one who loves to hear Iggy Pop references along with Devo or Kraftwerk-like synth hooks?

MORE INFO:
LCD Soundsystem's official site
LCD @ Wiki

Sound of silver

No comments: