Thursday, July 05, 2007

Carla Bruni: Quelqu'un m'a dit




Initially I had some about Carla Bruni: former mannequin, beautiful, kind of trendy. It all just didn't seem my cup of tea. So I first snobbed her first LP, but then when the second one got released I read a very good review about it (it had comparisons with Bob Dylan, old bluesmen and alikes), so I decided to give her the benefit of doubt.
And she did surprised me.
I've listened to "No promises"for a long time before getting back to "Quelqu'un m'a dit" (mainly becuase her first LP is in french and I 'm not very used to french music, except Sebastien Tellier and some old ones, like Jacques Brel), but I have to admit it got to me anyway: simple (and sometimes bluesy, sometimes more french-chansonnier-like) chord progression, most of the times with arpeggios, tender vocal melodies (and if you don't like her hoarse voice, well, that's easy to understand, but still what she does with it is haunting, charming).
Here is also the video of my favourite one:



Carla Bruni @ Wiki
Carla Bruni's Lyrics

Quelqu'un m'a dit

No comments: